Landscape design does not lose its popularity. On the contrary, even the owners of small suburban areas are trying to decorate their possessions with compositions from different trees and shrubs. Bright but unpretentious types of content are ideal for these purposes.
This review is devoted to one of such plants - let's take a closer look. ash-leaved maple of the popular variety Flamingo.
- Biological features
- Use in garden compositions
- Selection and preparation of the site
- Planting seedlings
- How fast is growing
- Care Tips
- Care of seedlings
- Adult care
- How does winter endure
This tree came to us from America, some natural tracts can be found in the Far East and in the marshy areas of Siberia. Most of the specimens look like wide and tall bushes, but not full-grown trees. The average height is 5 meters, although there are also 7-meter maples.
Appreciated for the characteristic color of the leaves, which changes throughout the season. Large (10-20 cm) lanceolate leaves in the spring have a pink coloring with white streaks, due to which the variety got its name.In the summer they darken, turning into white-green, and in September the white background of the shoots gives way to yellow.
In the second half of May and early June, it is time for flowering. At this time, medium-sized flowers (4-6 cm) can be seen. They are distinguished by their pale yellow-green color and rounded, slightly flattened shape.
Use in garden compositions
The combination of decorative and unpretentiousness made the maple a traditional element of landscape decoration. It is often planted to diversify into a complex multi-species composition, although the Flamingo may also act as a central element of a small decorative “bunch”.
Consider these options, starting with the simplest:
- Single landing, surrounded by a flower garden. The best "neighbors" are lobularia, petunias, pansies and begonias. They can be replaced by plants of similar size and color.
- Separate pink-white "island" on the site. The scheme is the same, but preference is given to flowers that are in the same tone with the leaves. These can be dahlias and lilies, geraniums or tender irises. To make such a corner look more natural, the maple is slightly shifted to the side - placing it strictly in the center is undesirable, this slightly "cuts" the eye;
- Traditional mixborders. As part of such a group of maples, as it were, shade their more stunted "brethren" and flowers, so they are placed in the middle of the composition. If it happens in shaded areas, a fern or lung box is planted nearby. The hedge obtained in this way can serve both as a dacha border and also act as a wall separating the beds from the recreation area.
Selection and preparation of the site
An ideal place for planting would be a healthy, wet and loose soil. If the soil is depleted or dry, it doesn’t matter, the maple will be gladly accepted on such a platform. Pre-feeding a small amount of humus will be only a plus.
At the same time, the place should be open - growing in the shade, the tree will lose its "corporate" color and decorative effect (the leaves fade, and the pattern on them becomes blurred).
Choosing a suitable "patch", in early spring or autumn, you can begin to disembark.
This procedure is for everyone:
- A square deep hole 50x50 cm in size is dug. A high level of groundwater can be compensated by laying a drainage layer of 15-20 cm. For this, screenings or fine crushed stone are suitable, sand is also good for such purposes.
- Then it is poured with a small amount of water and make the necessary fertilizer.Most often it is a mixture of humus with turf and sand in a ratio of 3: 2: 1, but nitroammofosk in the amount of 135-150 g is also suitable.
- Lower the seedling into the hole by placing the root collar at ground level. Consider that the soil will give a drawdown, so the plant can be lifted (10-15 cm).
- It remains to gently fill the shoots and the very fossa, tightly tamping the ground. Do not forget to pour a layer of mulch in 3-5 cm (well, if you have peat at hand). Immediately pour plenty of seedling, you will need 30 liters of water.
Planting scheme provides an interval between trees of 2-3 meters. For a hedge of 2 meters will be enough.
How fast is growing
Be prepared for the fact that the tree goes into growth almost immediately after planting. For the year it can grow by about 50 cm (both up and in width). It turns out that the plant will reach its natural maximum in 7-10 years.
To surely achieve the expected decorative effect, you will have to make some effort. Note that at different stages of development equally different measures are required.
Care of seedlings
It boils down to such procedures:
- Weekly watering (30-40 liters). In cold weather, you can pour half as much or moisten the rhizome with a 2-week break.
- Loosening the grenade circle after each watering. In the first year, they don’t go deep in order not to damage the upper roots.
- Regular removal of weeds.
- Periodic summer feedings. The best option is the universal composition of Kemira. Only 100 g of solution is applied to each “square” (a 20-gram pack is enough for 10 liters of water). Processing is done two or three times, with a break of 2 weeks.
Before frosts young trunk wrap near the roots. It is used lapnik or double layer of burlap.
After the first wintering, all frozen shoots are cut off - this is painless for the crown, which will start up new ones without any difficulty. With further pruning, everything is simple - the diseased or withered branches are removed first.
Growing up and regular care, as you can see, does not cause much trouble for the Flamingo maple owner. But there is a problem that can reduce all work to no.
These are diseases and pests. In itself, this plant has good immunity, but the neighborhood with other species sometimes turns into a risk factor - insects or sores begin to pass from them.
Most often dense plantings bake whiteflies and leaf weevils. You can fight with them with the help of a soap solution - chopped soap is mixed with water (1: 6), whipped until foam appears and is applied to the leaves with a sponge. Comes and for spraying. Re-processing is done in a week.
If folk remedies did not help, use "chemistry" like Konfidor, Aktellika, Fitoverma and drugs similar to them.
Of the diseases most problems arise with coral leaf spot, which easily turns into black. To prevent this, still dormant buds are sprayed with 5% vitriol.
How does winter endure
Flamingo maple has excellent winter hardiness. It tolerates frost well and is practically not susceptible to long-term cold weather, which distinguishes our latitudes.
But this should not be abused - young, fragile seedlings reach such conditions gradually, during the first 3 years of growth. Up to this point they have to be warmed for the winter, covering the base of the trunk with a spruce branch or dense sacking. This "armor" is especially relevant for regions with little snow and very cold winters.
For adults, the weather is not terrible - in the middle lane they are not covered at all.
We learned how to decorate the site with a spectacular maple and what to do to ensure the tree growth. We hope this will help our readers to transform the familiar look of the problem. More unusual colors!