Often, doctors with ear diseases prescribe boric alcohol or boric acid in the ear. In diseases of the ears, boric acid is an indispensable helper with excellent antiseptic properties.
This method is used in medicine for a long time and has positive aspects. Otitis is an inflammatory process that takes place in the ear. With him, he brings pain and severe discomfort. People of almost all ages can be affected. High statistics of cases occur in children aged 1 to 3 years.
Symptoms of the disease
The main early signs of otitis include:
- feeling of ear congestion;
- swelling of the outer ear;
- swollen lymph nodes;
- hearing impairment;
- discharge from the ear;
- pain sensations.
Symptoms of otitis can manifest as quickly, literally in one day, and slowly, up to a week. Therefore, it is often difficult to diagnose in the early stages and take appropriate measures.
In order to understand otitis in a patient or not, one should slightly press on the trestle (a triangular cartilage on the outer ear). In the case of otitis, the patient will experience pain.. If we are dealing with another ailment, the pain syndrome will not be observed.
What to choose?
Painful symptoms experienced by a person suffering from otitis, will make him consult a doctor. Along with other drugs in the recipe written by an otolaryngologist, be sure to meet boric acid or boric alcohol.
Otitis treatment with this method is known to our grandmothers, but over the years has not become less effective. Which of the drugs to choose?
- Boric alcohol - This is an alcohol solution of boric acid, already ready for use. He is divorced in the optimal treatment ratio. The patient only needs to buy a bottle and bury the solution in the ears according to the doctor's recommendations.
- Boric acid. Sold in the form of white powder. Before use, it must be diluted with water or alcohol.
Choose between boric acid and boric alcohol to be the doctor. Although acid can be more effective, boric alcohol is safer. Self-medication for otitis media is highly undesirable, but if for some reason a visit to the doctor in the near future is impossible, you should choose a solution of boric alcohol.
How does the medicine work?
Boric acid solution is traditionally used for hearing pain.. It has an antiseptic effect and helps to recover.
In case of improper dosage of the burn, burn the mucous membranes and eardrums. Boric acid has a negative effect on the cell structure of pathogens that cause otitis. It destroys the proteins and the coat of bacteria. The solution accumulates in the body and is completely eliminated five days after the end of the application.
Advantages and disadvantages
Boric acid diluted in water or alcohol is a unique treatment for otitis and other diseases of the ear.
The obvious benefits of boric acid treatment:
- pronounced antiseptic effect;
- drying effect is extremely important for purulent inflammatory processes;
- warming effect helps to fight against various infectious diseases;
- availability, low price.
The remedy may adversely affect the body of pregnant women and small children up to 3 years. Therefore, before use, it will not be superfluous to consult a otolaryngologist and clarify the dosage.
Like all drugs, boric acid has contraindications:
- the period of pregnancy and lactation;
- individual intolerance to boric acid;
- liver and kidney disease;
- not recommended for children under 3 years.
Instructions for use in otitis
The most popular way to use a medicine in case of a hearing organ is instillation. However, there are several more effective ways to be aware of.
- Trundochka. Trunda is a special tampon that is indispensable for purulent otitis media and other ear diseases. It is done simply, and brings great benefits. In order to make a trund it is necessary to take a small piece of sterile cotton wool, lightly fluff it in your hands. Roll a roller with a diameter of 1-2 millimeters, roll in half, moisten in a solution of boric acid and insert into the sink a sore ear. Trunda should be inside until the solution dries.
- Compress. In order to make a compress of boric alcohol, you first need to prepare a few trund. The medicine we will lay directly in the ear. Soak up the prepared tampons in a solution of boric acid and tightly place in the ear canal. Cover the ear with cotton or gauze and rewind with a bandage. Remove the compress after 2.5 - 3 hours.
- Burying. Before you bury a solution of boric acid, the ear should first be cleaned with a cotton swab from sulfur and other secretions that are characteristic of otitis. Patient lay on the side, for better penetration of the drug, slightly delay the earlobe. An adult needs to drip no more than 4 drops into a sore ear. Repeat the procedure should be every 3-4 hours.
When can I expect recovery?
Otitis is an otic inflammation, it has many forms, so it’s impossible to say exactly how much a person will be sick. Such information can give only the ENT doctor who leads the patient. In children and adults, the disease develops equally.
but weak children's body can not quickly cope with the disease. Therefore, otitis children last much longer. And they pass much harder.On average, the acute phase of the disease lasts from 3 to 5 days. In advanced cases up to a week.
Side effects during treatment
Side effects with proper use of the drug was not detected. Immediately after instillation or insertion of a tampon, there may be discomfort in the auricle, itching or a slight burning sensation. But after a few minutes it passes.
In case of overdose, intoxication can be observed, the symptoms of which:
- disruption of the nervous system;
Otitis, like any other disease, is easier to prevent than to cure. It would not be superfluous to start with the strengthening of immunity and strict observance of the rules of personal hygiene. Avoid hypothermia. Take care of the auricle, do not neglect examinations of the otolaryngologist.
Prevention of otitis media includes both general healing methods aimed at preventing colds and strengthening the immune system, as well as specific ones, such as correct blowing of nose, timely cleaning of the nose, etc.
Otitis is a serious disease. It would be naive to believe that it will pass by itself. When the first symptoms of otitis appear, you should consult a doctor.. Self-medication is fraught with complications. In children, not fully treated otitis can develop into a chronic form. Take care of your health and do not neglect medical care!